BPW Power to Make a Difference Task Force
by Dr. Chonchanok Viravan, Chair of Adjudicators
The objective of BPW Power to Make a Difference Competition is to document and give recognition to the value of leadership, influence and work of BPW Affiliates. The BPW Power to Make a Difference competition expands the scope of BPW work eligible for the competition from the original Beyond 2000: Helping Women Help Themselves competition which I initiated in 1997. Past awards were given at 7 different BPW International Congresses during 1999-2017. It was estimated that these winning BPW activities help over 360,000 women to sustain themselves economically.
The awards are divided into leadership, advocacy and action categories. Since 2014, work that makes a difference to the environment is counted as well.
The winners will receive their awards from the International President Dr. Amany Asfour. However, due to Covid-19 pandemic, the award ceremony for 2017-2020 winners has not yet been scheduled, but it will be held within 2021 or by mid 2022 at the latest.
Power to Make a difference through leadership
Excellent Business Leaders Award
• Myrna T. Yao (Philippines), President and CEO, Richprime Global Inc, Richprime Group of Companies
Excellent Professional Leaders Award
• Dr. Nantarika Chansue (Thailand), Director, Veterinary Medical Aquatic Animal Research Center, Chulalongkorn University.
Excellent Young Leaders Award
• Angelina Sookoo-Bobb (St. Kitt), Attroney-at-Law, Senior Associate Attorney at Law Office of Sylvester Anthony
Power to Make a Difference through Advocacy
Excellent Edvocacy for Women Awards
1st Place: BPW New Zealand
2nd Place: BPW Japan
3rd Place: BPW Egypt
Power to Make a Difference through Action
Excellent Projects Awards
1st Place: BPW Thailand, The Financial Discipline Creation Project
2nd Place: BPW Nepal, Empowering Women for Financial Sustainability based on 4 projects
- Women’s Expanded Coffee Production and Marketing Project (BPW Nepal)
- Empowering Women through Income Generation (BPW Kathmandu)
- Socio-Economic Empowerment of Women (BPW Banepa)
- Literacy Class and Skill Development Activities for the Women in District Jail, Moran (BPW Biratnagar)
2nd Place: BPW Pakistan, Economic Empowerment of Women through Accelerated Implementation of SDGs
3rd Place: BPW Korea, Career Guidance for Young Women: Girls, Go Beyond Yourself! Challenge Yourself!
4th Place: BPW South Mumbai, India, Empowering women by improving health and environment
based on 2 projects
- Narmada project – Environmental & Cultural project at the sacred river Narmada
- WASH project – Women’s Sanitation and Hygiene
5th Place: BPW Burkina Faso, Fight against female Genital Mutilation.
Adjudicators, including myself, cannot evaluate projects and nominations in a category where there are nomination(s) from her own country.
I would like to thank the following adjudicators for their hard work.
- Dr. Chonchanok Viravan (Chair)
- Christine Heinze (Germany)
- Dolores Otáñez (Ecuador)
- Eva Richter (USA)
- Judith Van Unen (Australia)
- Yinka Ajibola (Nigeria)
So that the contributions of all the winners can be made known to members, their projects and activities will gradually be publicized via the following channels:
BPW International web site: www.bpw-international.org (Award page)
BPW project web site: https://www.bpw-projects.org/
BPW Power to Make a Difference facebook:
Workbook 2021, p. 51/52